So Canadian eh? : Rosa Pearson



I am excited to finally have my amazing guest visit this week {I have been after an interview with her since the fall - she is one busy gal}! She is one of  the most enthusiatic people I have ever met! I have had the pleasure of getting to know her  over the course of the year through various local blogger events.

Please welcome....

Rosa Pearson from FlutterFlutter 




She is.....
I am always in awe of what Rosa manages to whip up on her blog! Currently, she is undertaking the slow renovation of a house with great west coast architectural features, open, vaulted ceilings, large windows and a hill side yard. 

Rosa, a fellow creative soul, never ceases to come up some amazing idea on her blog! Her juju hat tutorial has made it's round on the web and TV! Her photographs are stunning, and I am envious of her eye and skill {maybe you can come over some day Rosa and teach me a tip or two?}

As a mother to two boys she always has some interesting "rainy" day craft idea, or creatively incorporates their presence into her decor {think Storm Trooper masks on display}, and creates beautiful cards.

Just this week Rosa has launched typographical posters on her Etsy shop, flutterflutter studio. I am such a sucker for typographical posters, so it is thrilling to see her add that to her shop!




Her amazing kitchen renovation! Love, love, love it - especially the backsplash. Sigh..green with envy here.


Her lovely powder room redo, clever idea to use a ladder to hold towels!


Her office space.


Vintage chairs made by her grandpa that she gave a quick makeover and stencilled numbers.


Her famous juju hat!


1. Tell us a bit about yourself? Did you study design in school. Where you always drawn to design growing up?

Growing up I was constantly drawing. I always wanted to be an artist, but also wanted to be able to make a living. When I discovered the world of graphic design in high school it seemed like the perfect fit. After high school I enrolled in a three year graphic design program. The first year combined graphic, interior and fashion design students together to learn the basic principles of design, followed by two intensive years of graphic design training. It was great! i still have great friends from those years.

2. You are the creative genius behind Rosa Pearson Design, a graphic art studio, what made you decide to branch out on your own?

I started Rosa Pearson Design when I was 18 and freelancing while in design school. After graduating, I spent six years working in design firms, so it sat mostly on the back burner. After we had our first child, I decided to stay at home, and that is when the juggling of mom and designer began! It's been a fun ride so far.

3. Where do you get inspiration for your designs?

My inspiration comes from  everyday life, but especially nature, my kids, typography, and negative shapes and spaces.

4. As a mother of two boys, how do you balance your business, life, blogging and parenthood?

Family is my priority. At this stage I have to squeeze work into my "free" time, which often means the wee hours of the night. So, when work is busy it means that I don't really have much free time. If my blog looks a little light sometimes, it means I've probably got a couple of jobs on the go! It helpds that I love what I do.

5. What tips can you give other mom-preneurs out there? Anything you have learned along the way about being self-employed and working from home?

I would say to other mom-preneurs that the word "no", used wisely, is a powerful and necessary tool. I believe that you need to set your priorities at the beginning. Once you decide what your non-negotiables are, the rest will fall into place a bit easier.

6. Where would you like to see yourself in 2 years? Where do you hope your business to go in the next few years?

This coming fall will bring more free time that I have had in eight years, as both of my boys will be in school full time. So, over the next two years I look forward to working while the sun shines, getting some more sleep, and continuing to develop FlutterFlutter's line of products for my Etsy shop and stockists!

7. Why did you start a blog? And what have you enjoyed about blogging? What have you not enjoyed?

I was working on your kitchen renovation when I discovered the world of blogs and bloggers. I fell in love the with inspiring renos, creative projects, and like mined people behind the blogs. As a mom working from home, I was missing the creative working environment of the design firm that I had worked in, and this fabulous world of creative bloggers really helped to fill that void.

8. You have such a knack for photography, have you had any formal training? And what tips can you share for others ot take such amazing photos as yours?

Thanks for that Barbara! I don't have any formal training, in fact, I just got my first SLR last June! I have watched, and worked with, some fabulous photographers throughout my career, and I think that has definitely helped train my eye how to see. All the of pics on the blog are shot in automatic mode, and so the only real "secret" I can share is to buy a 50 mm lens for your SLR... it made a huge difference for me!

9. What do you like to do in your free time? {If you have any?}

I love to hang out with my boys, sketch, paint, take pictures, walk with girlfriends, eat good food, blog and travel. Interior decorating is a great escape from my regular graphic design work.


10. If you were given the opportunity to meet anyone or do anything, what would it be and why?

I would love to attend on the Angela Ritchie's ACE Camps one day! They are set up so that you can meet, and learn from some amazing talents in pretty cool locations around the world!

11. What are your views on the role Canadian design plays in the world design scene? Do you feel Canadians have an unique sense of style and design, and if so, what is that you think sets us apart?

I think Canadian design, and designers, have style as diverse as our geography and climate. I am always excited to see Canadian talent shine on the world stage!

Thanks for much for inviting me here Barbara!

Rosa, so glad your schedule freed up to give us a glimpse into your life, thoughts and world! So glad our paths have crossed. I am excited to see what other amazing things you will create!

XO Barbara

12 comments

  1. Yay for Rosa!!!! We love our girl!!!! Gosh, can you imagine all the things we'll get to see her do when her kids go to school full time??? Thanks Rosa for all of the inspiration you've given us. I still have to try out that wire art you introduced us to awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rosa's sense of style in her home and could pin everything! I always feel so inspired when I stop by her blog. Thanks for this interview Barbara and Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous home! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Rosa...she is the bomb! So talented! As always, thanks Barb for getting us another glimpse into the life & head of a great talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to be introduced to Rosa! Man we have a lot of great home-grown talent. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for introducing me to Rosa! Love her home and her use of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for having me Barbara! And, all these sweet comments are making my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love ya always Rosa! (And your good taste!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosa's graphic design work is definitely unique! I love her use of negative shapes. Ok, and I want to do an Ace Camp too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Rosa.....she is so cute AND talented!!! Thanks for another great interview Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rosa, it's great to learn a bit more about you. I love that you're always doing crafty stuff with your boys. They'll remember that forever! Your kitchen is gorgeous and I love your new posters.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat...